Thursday, September 22, 2011

5 Reasons Why the Yankees Can Win the World Series

On August 1st I wrote a post titled An Inconvenient Truth About the 2011 New York Yankees. Basically in this post I wrote about how, due to their lack of pitching depth, I didn't believe the Yankees would be able to win the world series. And at that time, I really believed that to be true! Well, in the 53 days since August 1st, A LOT has changed.
Goku has always been a favorite of mine.

So this is me, putting my tail between my legs, and admitting to you all that I may have jumped the gun a bit on that post. Do I think the Yankees WILL win the World Series? I hope they do, but I can't be sure of it. But do I think the Yankees CAN win the world series? If you do not mind I would like to answer this question with a question... Is Dragon Ball Z the greatest cartoon of my childhood? YES, YES, and oh by the way, YES. 

So there we have it, I do think the Yankees can win the World Series, and I have begun to display my unhealthy obsession with DBZ. (But we'll leave Dragon Ball Z to another post and just focus on the Yankees this time.)

Why have I changed my tone on the 2011 Yankees you ask? Well allow me to show to elaborate with a list..
  1. The Collapse of the Mighty Boston Red Sox. This one tastes so good I may just skip my lunch and feast on this! (Mwahahahahahah ahahahahaha!) I read a striking stat the other day that went a little bit like this.. the Red Sox are 16-30 in April and September and 72-37 in the months in between. Holy Schnikees Batman! I haven't experienced something that hot and cold since watching Gohan struggle to reach his true potential in the DBZ Cell saga! (I need to stop now before this gets out of hand..) But seriously, the Red Sox are falling a part and even if they do stumble in the playoffs, they aren't instilling confidence in anyone. I didn't think it was possible but they might actually have more pitching worries than the Yanks. Ach mein Gott!!
  2. Soribertra 789. What is Soribertra 789? Well that's the awesome name I have given to the 7-8-9 inning combo of Soriano, Robertson, and Rivera. No way of denying it, that bullpen is nasty and can severely shorten the game. The best part about them is that, like I had hoped before the season started, they compensate for a lot of the starting pitching woes. I know they're a little bit shaky when it comes to lefties in the pen, but with those three guys 7-8-9 their bullpen will be an advantage for them against any post season foe.
  3. Super Nova! Is it possible that Ivan Nova has turned into a legitimate number 2 starter for the Yankees? Well I won't go that far just yet, but he has certainly proved that he can go out there and win games. And I know he has gotten some of the best run support in baseball, but the guy still allows the Yankees to win games (Unlike a Mr. AJ BurNOT.) and with the Yankees offense all you need to do is keep them in games. Is he the rookie of the year? Maybe, I don't know; But more importantly, is he a major reason the Yankees will have a fighting chance in October? Hell Yes. 
  4. Jesus Montero. This guy has come up and just solidified that DH spot, something that hadn't been done all season. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit here but doesn't the way he can drive the ball the other way with such ease remind you a bit of A-Rod? Listen, I don't know how good this guy is, or if he'll even be on the team in the long term, but right now he looks like he can rake and they should ride that into the post season. Which leads us to our final point..
  5. The Bronx Bombers. The Yankees can straight up pound the baseball. I thought they had a good lineup going into the season, but with the break out season Curtis Granderson is having and just the continued dominance of Robi Cano, this offense is lethal. Not to mention a certain 37 year old short stop who has turned his season around.. I mean how incredible is Derek Jeter? Never, and I mean NEVER, count this guy out. Who would of guess that by seasons end his average would be closing in on .300? Not me. From top to bottom this lineup is potent and will wear pitches out in the post season.
Will they be good enough to beat a guy like Verlander? I don't know. Will they be able to control to Rangers bats? Who knows? Will the Red Sox get hot again and make a run? Hell if I know.. Can anybody beat the Phillies? We'll see.

I admit that I don't know any of the above questions, but I know feel like the Yankees have a chance to overtake any obstacles in their path. And I'll tell you one thing, I'm excited. Win or lose I'm confident this will be an exciting post season and I implore all of you to hop on the ride.

Class Dismissed,
Student of Sports

By the way be sure to check out the SOSPod. You can got to the iTunes page by clicking here. Also make sure to follow me on twitter at @StudentofSports. And like the Facebook by checking out Student of Sports on Facebook!

So enjoy your day guys and I'll be sure to get Ray Box and my week 3 picks up sometime tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment