Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The March Madness Tournament Tourny

So I was sitting in class today bored and trying to think of something fun to do with the blog. I've had a bit of a lul in the page views and didn't have something I really felt passionate or intelligent enough about to blog about.
I would love to get into the ins and outs of the current NFL labor negotiations but I would probably just do you all a huge disservice seeing as I do not consider myself an expert on a topic like that. I do however, suggest you all check out what Bill Simmons writes about the labor issues on his page on the ESPN website. "Bill Simmons: Greed is good in NFL labor talks" I thought reading this really cleared a lot of things up for me and offerred some unique perspective so I suggest all of you check it out as well.
OK! So enough about that and back to spicing up the page. I've decided that it would be a really awesome idea if I could incorporate the quickly approaching March Madness tournament into the blog. So here'es the plan: 

  • We take this week as an opportunity to watch some of the conference tournaments so we all have a good idea of how we think the upcoming big dance may go.
  • A few days after Selection Sunday I will post on my blog my completed 2011 March Madness bracket.
  • Any of you who are interested in taking me on will send me their completed bracket. (You can do this by emailing it to me at StudentofSports@yahoo.com)
  • You can also attach what you think good rules for the tournament contest should be. For the time being these will be the rules:
    • 1 point awarded for each victory in the first 2 rounds.
    • 2 points awarded for each victory in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8
    • 4 points awarded for each victory in the Final 4
    • 5 points awarded for selecting the Tournament winner
    • Tie Breaker: How many upsets you selected correctly
    • Note: In order to get points you only need select the winner, not the loser. For example if you have Team A beating Team B in the Sweet 16  in your bracket and in the tournament Team A beats Team C because C knocked out B, You still get the points for picking Team A to win.
  • Once again, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns about to contest, I am not assuming the above format is perfect and would love to get your suggestions. (Reminder: reach me at StudentofSports@yahoo.com)
  • If anybody actually beats me, the person with the best score will get a chance to write their very own post for the blog that will be published the following week.
So I think this will be a fun way to generate excitement for the blog and a good way to be interactive. Now I'm not idiot and I assume that most of you will have brackets completed for other competitions with possible some more financial incentive to get involved in. I understand this and just urge you to use that bracket and also partake in the contest just for fun. It should be a good time.

I know I will be taking advantage of this early notice for the contest and paying close attention to the conference tournaments this week so I can better build my bracket and I suggest you all do the same. 

Good Luck!

Class Dismissed,
The Sports Undergrad

SoS

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Care to exchange links?:)

    Comment on my blog if you do. Thanks!

    http://pinoysportsblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete